Why don't you play the game?!

Friday, November 24, 2006

Cool Oldskool


This is Alley Cat, the computer game from 1984. This was top of the line graphics in 1984 on an Intel 8088 CPU.

So, the other day my co-worker gave me this link.
It shows a Youtube video clip of a 4,77MHz 8o88 CPU (from 1979) playing back a full-motion video @ 30fps with sound. o.O

Incredible stuff. I know it takes at least a Pentium 120Mhz to play back a .mp3, and at least a Pentium II 400MHz to play DivX video files.

Of course the oldskool hardware "Hercules" is a bit aided by the fact that at it puts out only 320x200 pixels using only 16 colors (4bit color depth). Hence the blockyness. However, I dare say it gives some multimedia cellphones of last year some stiff competition ;)

An amazing feat of programming in any case. If only we'd have had programmes like this when 8088 was in mainstream use...

1 Comments:

  • A few years ago a friend of mine gave me a copy of Alley Cat on disc. I thought it was so cool, except that it stuffed my computer around a bit... old technology vs. new technology. The old school games are always the best, I think.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home